Thursday, July 24, 2008

Visiting friends' house

YUEL has some married couples who are studying together. One is my husband and I and one another is Ahmud and Coro. Ahmud was my husband classmate in the last session. Ahud and Coro are from Saudi Arabia. I've come to know them through all the tours I had in YUELI. Since we came here just before the last session started, I wanted to show all the beautiful places to my husband and we had participated in all the trips and so had they, Ahmud and Coro. Actually, before I came here, I had sort of prejudice about Saudi Arabian woman. She should wear scarp to hid her face, neck, hands and foot and I thought Saudi Arabian woman must be inactive and man is dominant. However, this couple totally made me change my thought. Coro is very fashionable and very active. She has agressively participated all the activities and she is also very kind to everyone. Last term, however, I only said to her "Hi" and "Bye" whenever we came across but I wanted to have more chances to talk with her.

Last week, I had a great chance to have talk with her. We are considering to move apartment right now and my husband told me that Ahmud and Coro are living in one bedroom apartment and it is not that expensive. When I heard that, I wanted to see what it looked like and asked my husband to ask them whether we can visit their place. We met them in front of classroom and asked whether we could visit their place the day, last Thurdays and they said okay. I was so delighetd and brought some juces. Surprisingly, she prepared Saudi Arabian food for us!! I hoped just see their place for 10 minutes but she prepared dinner for us. I felt very sorry but it turned out that they should thank us according to their religion. It's marvolous whenever I hear something about Muslum culture. She said if someone visits their home, she brings the luck to the house, so visiters are always welcome in Muslum culture. I was amazed how this people look the world differently than we were. AND the food was great!!

Unlike me, I think she's a very good cook. Ahumud is luck to have such a great wife, beautiful, fashionable and good cook. Poor my husband. -.-;

I drank Saudi style coffee too. At first time when I saw, it was very wierd since the color of coffee was not black but green. They said when coffee beans are boiled, the green abstract is produced. It's the ligth coffee what I drank. If we want to have the black colored-coffee, we should boil several times to get the dark one. I like Sudi style coffee better. It was less strong and simple. It was perfect match after the meal.

Ah~ I did not say about them much.... ^^

They got married just before they came here. They came here at the similar time when we came here. They had a honeymoon here too. ^^

I hope I can keep in touch with them, and share our cultures.

When I move my place into the apartment and I'm going to invite them, but I think I'd rather not cook, they will hate Korean food if I cook. I told my husband to cook. Indeed, he's better than me. I hope they can enjoy Korean food like I did.

1 comment:

Don said...

I know what you mean about such women being warm and actively polite. I remember one class I had at YUELI -- it was level 4 -- and for some reason more than a couple of the students were teenaged girls from Korea. The only non-Korean woman in the class was a Saudi woman, and she was like everyone's mom. She was a great help to everyone.