Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sunday - TTC

On Sunday last week, I had to go down to St. George to attend a class for GMAT. It took normally less than an hour, so I left at home about 8am (the class started at 9am). There was only one person standing there when I'd got to the stop. Biting my breakfast prepared by my husband, I was waiting for the bus. The bus did not come not like the other day and I assumed since it was Sunday, the interval of the bus was longer than other days. The guy standing the bus stop approached me and started to talk to me. His name is Martin having studied his matster in England and comes from Nigeria. Obtaining immigrationship, he came to Canada early this year. The bus came half an hour later and we got into the bus going to the Downsview station. However, the bus did not stop at the Downsview station and detour to the other station. He and I were wondered why the bus did not go to the Downsview. We, both knew that the subway did not run on Sunday before 9AM. It surprised me. A lot of things in Canada surprise me.

1. Stores & TTC

I learned that it's illegal that stores run on Sunday. Only the place for tourists can open its store on Sunday but should close early. We never do that in Korea. Most people are working during the weekdays and weekends are only time they can do the shopping. If stores are closed in weekends, where we can buy things we need. As well, I wonder what people are doing on weekends if there is not many things they can do.

As well, it's kind of wierd for me that TTC does not operate the subway before 9AM.

2. Food Dumping (?) and recycling

At home, my landloard told me that I could put the food in the SINK and it grinds the food and send it to the drain. It is one of the most strange things I see in here. If all the remains of food we have are going to the drain, the water would be polluted. Even though Canada has the great system of purifying the water, I think it is not right to dump the food in the water.

As well, very few items are recycled. When I go to the fast food restaurant, I see people through the paper garbage together with food. There is no distintive garbage can we can throw separately. Canada might have huge place to bury the garbage but should start to recycle almost every products people comsume. The removing of plastic bag from the LCBO is the good start for that and placing separate garbage cans in all the subway stations is also great start. Today, returning from my class in downtown, I saw one woman claimed when she throw one can to the recycling can, "It's the first time in my life recylcling". I think in all the bus stops, those cans are needed.

In Korea, we do recycle almost everything and I used use only one 1 liter garbage bag per year.

3. Dry clothes

I came to know that dry the clothes outside was illegal until April this year. Due to the fact that hanging the clothes on the dry stand could lead the idea that only poor people hang the wet ones to dry since they cannot be afford to buy the dryer. Some extent, it looks right. However, we should think how much electricity we need to dry our clothes and some of clothes are smaller after the dry and we cannot wear those ones any more. To save the energy, I think we'd better dry out clothes hanging on the dry stand. It's also good for our health since the Sun kills bad bacterias which might live inside of clothes. I hope to have a washing machine which clears the dust out to dry my wet clothes under the Sun.

There are some issues which I've described above. I'm not sure what other people's opinion about and what Canadian really thinks about this.

Also, it might be narrow view of issues on the above, but the perception of the foreigner is also important for the native people to know I think.


1 comment:

Don said...

Indeed, as David Suzuki said in our practice YELY, Canadians have this double vision about the environment: it's very important to us, because it's a big part of our sense of national identity. We have this huge amount of wilderness. It's big big big, and people from other countries really have no idea how big. At the same time, though, we haven't started to think about taking proper care of it. It's too recent that we never had to do anything at all. Do you want water? Just dip your cup over the side of the canoe. It's totally clean.

I have visited in the far north and found places where, for example, I could wash my hair in a waterfall next to the Churchill River, and find that this water took all the soap out of my hair. Like, all of it. Which otherwise never happens at all. Your hair feels totally different, much lighter, like baby hair. And ever since, I still feel, to this day, like I'm normally carrying around about a pound of soap on my head . . .

It's just a matter of getting serious about it . . .